Friday, April 9, 2010
You can't survive a street fight if you get knocked-out before you know you're in a fight!!
The importance of situational awareness in modern street self defense simply cannot be overemphasized. In the ring or cage, you always know that you'll be fighting against one person, he's got no other weapons than his two arms and two legs and you know that he won't attack until after the bell sounds.
On the street, things are different. You never know how many people will attack you, if they are armed, when they will attack and when they will stop. That is the reason why TRAINED sport fighters usually loose against EXPERIENCED street fighters:
A sport fighter is stabbed and then says "I never saw the knife coming," because he is TRAINED to expect a fair fight without weapons and the street fighter is EXPERIENCED enough to draw and palm his knife until he has cut his victim once already.
A sport fighter takes a street fighter to the ground and has his head kicked in by the street fighter's five friends because he is TRAINED in the luxury of being in a cage with only one opponent and a referee to "keep things fair."
A sport fighter gets sucker punched and then says "I never saw the punch coming," because he was TRAINED to not expect any attacks until after the bell rings, while the street fighter is EXPERIENCED enough to know that the person who lands the first blow usually wins a street fight.
I've seen this phenomenon many times in the past. The last time was when I had a Thai Boxing trainer and fighter in a seminar and the entire class was trying to compare him to me in terms of "who is better," "who can beat who," "who is tougher" and so on. While practicing traffic stops using role playing, he stood outside the door of the car and asked me if I would get out and open the trunk. I said yes, while reaching for the rubber knife that I had hidden under my left thigh. I opened the door with my left hand, concealed the knife behind the car door and thrust the knife into his chest, just under his rib cage. What did he do? Nothing at first, but then he jumped into a boxing stance, looked down at the rubber knife "sticking" out of his chest, murmured a profanity and realized that he would have been mortally wounded long before he even knew he was in a fight.
Who would have won in the ring? I honestly don't know. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say he would. But remember, that I don't train for ring sports anymore and he's getting ready for street duty, so I would say that he was able to learn a lot more from me than I could have from him. And the chances of an untrained sport fighter recovering from a broken nose tend to be better than those of an inexperienced street fighter recovering from a slit throat.
CLICK HERE TO LEARN THE FOUR MOST EFFECTIVE TECHNIQUES THAT STREET FIGHTING BASED SELF DEFENSE HAS TO OFFER ! !
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment